Life comes with a huge spectrum of opportunities and surprises. We experience each using the tool box called mind and deal with it accordingly. These experiences bring along a lot of moments followed by different combos of emotions. Sometimes, we surprise ourselves with the way we use our skills and deal effectively with a particular situation. It might be in the form of academic accomplishment, or overcoming a drawback or facing a fear. There are little things that we do and amaze ourselves with. Many times we take them for granted thinking that it is just normal or it is common to do so, forgetting that it is new to us and uncommon too. In short, we do not celebrate these little but personally huge achievements and forget to take pride in the same. To be proud of ourselves is another form of self-love. Self-love comes with appreciating ourselves and caring enough to acknowledge these moments of pride. Being proud of yourself makes you think better for yourself and lay down a list of things you are better at leaving behind the critic in you. Let us see why being proud of your own self is a key to a healthier mind.
Why is it important to be proud of yourself?
- When you are proud of yourself, you do not rely on external validation for your achievements. It makes you less vulnerable and gullible when it comes to attaining closure. Being proud of yourself sets you free and you are nearly no more dependent on someone else’s state of pride in you.
- Being proud of yourself is closely associated with your aspects of self. When you take pride in the things that matter to you, it boosts up your self-confidence and provides nourishment for your self-esteem. It also helps you develop a healthier and better self-image of yourself.
- It becomes a huge motivating factor for you when you find the essence of taking pride in yourself for even the tiniest things. Especially when these moments of pride might seem very little to others but mean a lot to you, you being proud of it enhances your self-love. This also gives you a sense of responsibility.
- When you start being proud of yourself, it is easier for you to be proud of others as well. You start complementing, appreciating and encouraging others effortlessly. The feelings of jealousy or unhealthy competition fade out of the mind as your pride takes over it. The wave of positivity flows throughout whether it comes to being proud of yourself or others.
- As you start taking pride in yourself you automatically do not rely on the other’s approval. It makes you self-sufficient enough to set boundaries and be agreeable and respectful of others too.
- It reduces the severity of emotions regarding failures and rejection. Having the habit of being proud of yourself, empowers you to have faith in your abilities. Once you believe that you are capable enough to try again, it awakens that strength in you.
How to be proud of yourself?
- The first thing to remember while being proud of your own self is that it doesn’t make you egocentric or narcissistic. There is a difference between the behaviours of both. As long as you do not compel or manipulate others into being proud of you or do not expect it from others, you do not fall into that category. Being proud does not make you arrogant but it shows how much you value yourself and your achievements.
- Acknowledge your efforts. Have a rough count of the efforts you put in for something. This can be how much time you gave in for some work, how much energy you invest in a project, how many times did you run to achieve a target, how many days have you been working for, how many hours did you spend waiting for something, how many trials did you take to overcome something you lacked in, etc. This understanding will help you accept yourself and consider your efforts.
- Start appreciating little things you do for yourself. Start rewarding yourself with something, for example give yourself a little treat after a hectic exam schedule or give yourself a day off after a week of slogging yourself to office work. Giving a little pat on your back after being able to do something also is a representation of being proud of yourself.
- Cultivating pride in your mind about yourself comes with a reality check. Accept your shortcomings, dysfunctional behaviour patterns, incorrect attitudes, flaws, negative tendencies so as to avoid toxic positivity. Working on your drawbacks will give you honest relief.
- Prioritising yourself is a very important part of the process. Learning about your own needs and goals brings you closer to yourself. It is important to listen to what you want or need to do in order to do substantial work. This helps you indirectly to be proud of yourself.
- Do not hesitate to take credits for when you deserve it. Considering yourself worthy enough when you actually have contributed to something is important. Accepting the praises and celebrating your efforts is a part of being proud of your own self.
Being proud of yourself will have significant changes in your personality. It makes one admirable and sets the right thought process to evolve further in life. Not only does it play an important role in structuring your self-love patterns but it also reflects in your self-efficacy. Being proud of yourself leads to personal growth and brings bliss to your mind.
Read more :
Reacting VS Responding: Difference and Examples